Pulmonary rehab is for patients who are starting to realize that they are unable to do some or many of the things in life that they used to enjoy. If you have ever felt breathless and unable to continue daily activities, talk to your primary care provider to see if pulmonary rehab is right for you.
At certain locations, UP Health System offers medically prescribed exercise and education for people who have chronic obstructive or restrictive lung diseases, such as COPD, chronic asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, and pulmonary hypertension. Patients work with a rehabilitation specialist who will monitor exercise sessions and skills training.
Individualized treatment plans allow for specialized care with a primary focus on breathing techniques to teach you how to cope with a chronic lung condition.
- Manage and minimize symptoms
- Improve activity tolerance
- Restore confidence
- Improve the quality of life
- Promote self-reliance and independence
- Decrease need for acute responses
Talk to Your Primary Care Provider
A physician's referral is required to begin this rehabilitation. Be sure to check with the insurance company and ask if the cost of the rehabilitation is covered.
Our rehabilitation services are built on the broad experience of highly trained therapists of many specialties. Click this link or the button below to learn more about rehabilitation services at UP Health System.
How Does it Work?
After your provider sends a referral to the Pulmonary Rehab Program, our staff will schedule an initial evaluation appointment. During the therapy, the rehab staff will monitor patients while they are exercising. They will help the patient gradually increase their exercise tolerance and teach the patient breathing techniques to avoid or cope with breathlessness.
- Pulmonary rehab is an exercise class that helps you maximize the lung function that you have to help you get through your day with less breathlessness and fatigue.
- It will teach you about your lung condition so you understand why you get short of breath, how to avoid those situations if at all possible and how to cope with your breathlessness should you experience it.
- Discussions will take place about your medications, why you take them, how to correctly take them and when you should take them.
- Pulmonary rehab is a twenty four session class – covered by Medicare if you qualify – that will start you on the path of a much more productive and enjoyable life.
- Pulmonary Rehab is staffed by a Respiratory Therapist and an Exercise Specialist.