The Medical Records Department collects, manages, protects, and disseminates the health information of our patients. We ensure the information is complete and accurate. The Medical Records Department staff performs the following duties:
- assembly and analysis
- completing birth certificates
- release of health information
The medical record is the property of the hospital. The patient does not automatically receive a copy of his/her medical record upon discharge from the hospital. Medical records must be completed by all physicians involved in the patient's care prior to being copied and released to the patient. This process can take up to 30 days. The patient may receive a copy of his/her medical record, upon completion, for a fee.
Contact the Medical Records Department
UP Health System – Marquette
Phone: 906.449.1510 or toll-free at 1.800.562.9753
Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM Monday through Thursday | 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM on Friday
UP Health System – Portage
Hours: Monday – Friday | 8 AM – 4:30 PM
UP Health System – Bell
Email: Hospital Records | Bell.DLUPHSBellMedicalRecords@bellmi.org
Bell Physician Practices
Phone: 906.449.1510 or toll-free at 1.800.562.9753
Email: Clinic Medical Records | firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: Monday - Friday | 7:30 AM - 4 PM
Release of Information
Your medical records are the physical property of the healthcare facility that is responsible for their completion. However, the information contained in the record belongs to you. There may be several instances where you or another party may need access to your medical information. You may request a release of your information:
- for your own use
- for insurance purposes
- if you are transferring care from one facility to another
- if you are at a physician's office or hospital
You or a representative may have access to this information with a properly completed, dated, and signed release form.
How to request a release of your information:
- Please give reasonable notice if you wish to access your records.
- You or a representative may stop by the Medical Records Department to obtain a release form, or download a PDF:
- Complete, date and sign the form.
- Return the form to the Medical Records Department
- If you are at an office or hospital that needs your records in an emergency situation, the medical staff may call or fax and the request will be processed immediately.
Depending on the volume and medical record use, there may be a charge. Charges are based on the state charging guidelines and consumer index.
To find specific information online regarding fee definition, please consider searching for "medical record access fees" on www.michigan.gov.
If you have been immunized in the State of Michigan, you may be able to download your Immunization Record from the Michigan Care Improvement Registry (MCIR).
Steps to get your Immunization Record
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- Create or Sign-in to your MiLogin account
- Upload an image of either your US Passport, Driver’s License, or State ID.
Birth Certificate Information
Birth Certificates at UPHS – Marquette
You can get the Birth Certificate in person* or by mail**: Marquette County Court House County Clerk's Office 234, W. Baraga Avenue, Marquette | 906.225.8330.
- The cost of a certified Birth Certificate copy is $14.00. A second copy is an additional $7.00.
- The certified Birth Certificate will be available for pick up two weeks from birth.
- Send a written request with payment to the Marquette County Court House - County Clerk's Office, along with the baby's date of birth. the full name of the baby and parents, and an address to which to send the Birth Certificate.
- The courthouse is located south of Washington Street between Third and Fourth Streets on Baraga Avenue.
- Social Security cards arrive in 4-6 weeks. Contact the Social Security Office (800.772.1213) with any questions.
You will also find information that will have a printable Birth Certificate Worksheet and a printable Admitting Information Sheet that will allow the Patient Access Department and Health Information Management to complete your paperwork immediately upon your arrival here at Marquette General Hospital.
Dear Expectant Parent(s)
The essential information needed to process your new baby's birth certificate is obtained from the responses you provided on the birth certificate worksheet.
Information will be provided to the State of Michigan for statistical purposes and portions will be printed on the birth certificate. In order to promptly complete your new baby's birth certificate, it is very helpful if the worksheet is received in the Medical Records Department prior to the baby's birth. It is not necessary to complete the entire worksheet. The baby's name can be provided at the time of birth. Please print, fill in the form, and return it to:
UP Health System – Marquette, DLP
Medical Records Department
850 West Baraga Ave
Marquette MI 49855
Birth Certificates at UPHS – Portage
A birth certificate is completed for all infants born at UP Health System – Portage. The information is sent to the State of Michigan.
To obtain a copy of a birth certificate, please contact:
Houghton County Courthouse
Houghton County Clerk | Vital Statistics Department
401 E. Houghton Avenue
Houghton, Michigan 49931